Thursday, December 17, 2009

R.I.P Jennifer Jones


(1919-2009)


I just found out that Jennifer Jones died today. I hate when classic stars die; it's so sad to lose someone from the golden era. Miss Jones starred in many films throughout the 1940's and 1950's notably: The Song of Bernadette (1943, for which she won a Best Actress Academy Award), Duel In The Sun (1946), Portrait of Jennie (1948), Love is a Many-Splendored Thing (1955), among others. She will be greatly missed.

3 comments:

  1. I've seen a few of her movies, and she was great - sad that she is gone... but unfortunately, there are very few 'golden age' actors/actresses left with us, and that's where the restoration of old movies becomes important, as well as our stuff we do... hopefully folks will search out some of Miss Jones' movies due to this post...
    My ultimate goal is to get at the minimum, all the Academy Winners from the golden age (early 30's - late 40's, give or take a few years...some 50's stuff qualifies as well) - Best Movie, Best Actor, Best Actress...
    Thanks for the info, PC!

    VKMfan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only think of a few who are still with us: Lauren Bacall, Joan Leslie, Mickey Rooney, Joan Fontaine among them. But I think there's more then we realize. Sometimes I watch a movie and find out later one of the actors is still alive, even if they were just supporting actors. But as for the main stars, you're right. Unfortunately there aren't many.

    Oh! That's swell idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still saddened by her passing, but am happy we have her movies, almost all of them (with the exception of "Tender is the Night" and a few others) are available on DVD.

    ReplyDelete