Stewart's parents are appalled that he wants to marry a stenographer but to humor him, agree to dine with her family. This is doomed from the start, as they are a collection of free spirits with little visible means of support presided over by Arthur's wise grandfather (Lionel Barrymore). It also turns out that buying their house is key to tycoon Arnold's latest mega-project.
I thoroughly enjoyed You Can't Take It With You. It's a very feel-good movie and the message it sends is uplifting; not worrying about troubles or what other people think. Just like in any Capra film, the underdog triumphs which is always a delight to see. One of the many themes in the film is greed and corruption, but Arnold nevertheless demonstrates nuance and sensitivity as a man who, despite many flaws and faults, is redeemed by his love for his son.
Another thing I just picked up on while watching it again is its similarities with It's A Wonderful Life, the famous Holiday classic that was another Capra/Stewart collaboration and was made 8 years later. For instance, people collecting money to help characters out of a jam towards the end of the movie. Just like in the ending of It's A Wonderful Life. Also in both films, when a collection is taken up to settle a financial obligation, the original collector realizes his futility and adds his own contribution. Those are just some things I noticed that stood out to me. I'm sure there were more, as Capra liked to incorporate similar ideas into each of his movies.

There are many grand scenes between Stewart and Arthur, whom I feel have great on-screen chemistry.

This film won the Best Picture Academy Award in 1938 and also earned Frank Capra his third Best Director Oscar. You Can't Take It With You is a marvelous movie that can't be missed!



No comments:
Post a Comment